Saturday, May 31, 2008
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
I was immediately enthralled with this project and created 4 houses in just a couple days. The problem is that I really like all 4 of them and do not want to part with them so I am going to make some more. That way I have some to keep and some to swap.
This is my first house. I chose the birds since there are 4 of them. The "B" in the corner is for the bad babies. The upper script covered triangle is actually one of the corners I lopped off. I then covered it and glued it onto the roof. Although you cannot see it in the photo, the button at the top is an antique. I appears to be some sort of plastic in an antique gold color with 5 faceted "jewels" on it. It is quite sparkly.
House #2. I added a chimney and covered it with script paper to creat the visual effect of "bricks". The image of the woman is dressed in layers of lace so I added lace to the top and attached it with a fancy brad in antique bronze. The wrought iron fence and daisies are both stamped images.
House #3. I wanted to used some more stamps and I also wanted a more rustic feel. I love the large pine tree I used as "columns" on either side of my house. It is such a large stamp I rarely get a chance to use it. And that sun is a very cool image as well. Again, I decorated with buttons. The one at the top is really very bright/shiny gold metal. The one at the bottom with the ivy is shiny gold plastic. And the 3rd button, the one on the ATC, is a brushed gold metal button. They least shiny of the three and yet the brightest in the photo. :-)
I added a library pocket to the front of this one. I cut a scalloped edge and then made an ATC to go inside. That ivy, by the way, was a gift from a friend at least 5 years ago and I have been hanging on to it all this time just waiting for the right project. It is made of rusted metal and was easily shaped to echo the scallop of the pocket.
This house went through several idea changes before settling on the one below. Originally I had the image of a little girl and she was going to be standing in front of a fence (the flower border down the right side). Then I found a cool image of a girl sitting on a bench wearing a 20's swimsuit and thought she would be fun sitting on the "fence". I finally found the woman draped in nothing but the sheer lace and she seemed to fit with the night sky the best. The fence then became a "wall". I stamped the clock and set the time to almost midnight. What other time would you be prancing around your house wearing nothing but a sheer lace sheet? LOL
The "sister" definition is an acknowledgement to the bad babies who really are like a large group of sisters. :-)
The corner stamp was first stamped in metallic copper but it just didn't show up that well so I stamped it again in brown and it really "pops" in person.
Sunday, May 25, 2008
Last night I finished working on Tamara's Birds: Songs, Soliloquies and Salutations. I have to admit, seeing the title for this one had me worried. I had no preconceived notions of what I was going to do but once the book arrived the idea just came to me!
I created a 2-page spread with a transparency between them. That is where my bird image resides. I had to make sure that the papers I used looked good together since both would be visible at all times AND I had to make sure any items placed near the top did not detract from the image on the film.
Below is spread 1. I added small twigs to give the nest dimension. And there is a branch stamped in brown on the upper right side of the left page but it doesn't show well in the photo.
This is page 2. I loved this paper with the words "How Sweet the Sound" and wanted to make sure they didn't get covered up. You can see part of the nest from the previous page so it almost appears the bird is sitting on it. I may add some notations to the graph card. Not sure yet.
This is a close up of the transparency. It is actually 2 different images, one of the bird and the other of some writing. I placed them face to face to protect the ink so it can't be rubbed or scratched off.
A little bird, with plumage brown,
So birds of peace and hope and love
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Anyway, one of the groups I am in has a monthly lottery. I knew the theme was Vintage Buttons but for some reason just never got around to doing anything. Then today I thought...Hey, I want to play! So they pushed back the date until Friday so I could join in.
I have been wanting to get out the beeswax for a while now but really had nothing I wanted to make so it sat on the shelf. This theme just called out for BEESWAX!
I stamped all the images. They are from Oxford Impressions except the 3 women stamped in brown, they are from Tuscan Rose I think. They are all stamped on tissue paper except the woman. she is on copy paper AND tissue paper.
I used a 6 x 6 inch canvas board. I covered it with melted wax then scribbled on some water soluble oil pastels. yellow and brown. Then then began laying down the stamped images starting with the text.
I used fabric that I tore so it would have a frayed edge, not that you can tell much under the wax.
Next came the the copy paper woman. I laid down this image and then tinted her cheeks pink and her dress blue using the oil pastels. I then put the tissue image over top so the colors became muted.
Next the other stamps and finally the lace.
The last step was the buttons. I has to put down a puddle of wax, press the button into it and then dribble more wax over top. They are each encased in a little wax cocoon.